Usually, you will not be able to get a refund of Social Security tax when filing the return. However, if your employer withhold too much Social Security tax from the paychecks, you may be able to ask for a refund. Also, if you have multiple jobs simultaneously, and you end up with too much total Social Security withheld, the tax will become refundable.

How to refund?

Excess taxes with a single employer

If your employer withhold too much Social Security tax, you should first contact your employer and ask him/her for a refund for the excess amount. Also, you must ask your employer to correct the mistake.

If your employer refuses to do so, you can get the refund from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You should fill out the IRS Form 843 and follow the instructions. Generally, you need a copy of your W-2 that shows the amount of tax withheld.

If you are on a work visa and you are not required to have Social Security tax withheld under the terms of your visa, you may also include the copies of the visa stamp plus other relevant immigration documents.

Excess taxes with multiple employers

If you have multiple employers, your Social Security tax sometimes can be collected over the maximum taxable total salary. Once you find yourself paying too much Social Security tax, you can get a refund from the Internal Revenue Service.

While you are filing the annual tax return from the IRS, you should claim the excess tax as a credit against the personal income tax. You may consult IRS publication 505 for more information and worksheets. The maximum Social Security tax changes yearly, so you should use the appropriate worksheet.

Self-employed workers

If you are self-employed, you are required to pay both the employer and the employee portions of the Social Security tax. If you don’t receive any paychecks or you expect to owe more than is withheld from the paychecks, you will have to pay quarterly estimated taxes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.