Filling tax is a long and confusing process. It seems so complex that we can hardly finish filing tax on our own. Retirement, government benefits and other financial changes can make filing tax more complexed for seniors. Luckily, there are many resources available for seniors.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who have income less than $56,000, the disabled and who are not fluent in English. VITA volunteers are IRS-certified tax professionals. This program best suits seniors who still earn some income that is subject to income tax.

Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)

The TCE program is designed especially for senior citizens. Seniors can try the TCE program first to determine what service they should use. This program best suits seniors who no longer work. TCE volunteers deal with more pension and retirement income relevant problems.

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

If seniors find that an IRS program isn’t available or they’d like to turn to other organization, the American Association of Retired People (AARP) Foundation Tax-Aide is a good choice. The AARP Foundation provides the nation’s largest tax assistance run by volunteers to all taxpayers. All AARP volunteers are IRS certified.

Things to do before visiting a VITA or TCE center

  • Make sure the service you need are available in the VITA or TCE center. Check Here
  • Call ahead to make sure volunteers are available to help. In some cases, there might not be enough expertise helping around. You can call ahead before visiting.
  • Bring all necessary documents. Volunteers need your information and some documents to help file forms, therefore, you should bring all the necessary documents with you. Check all the materials you need here.

2 thoughts on “How to get free tax help for seniors?”

    1. Need tax relief help.Behind on filing for previous years taxes.Had estate settled and after that ,I was flooded with confusing ,numerous ,high end scores of taxes to payoff.Has to be relied help and write offs available.Went through local attys.that did estate settlement the first year after settled and they hit me with high fee taxes and fees which I paid.The next year they charged such high fee I again paid them for figuring taxes but had nothing left to pay Fed. &State taxes.Shouldve been alot of writeoffs ,and breaks available for me but they took no action to help me.Meanwhile I still get hit hard with local property taxes that take alot of my needed income to live on as I’m stuck-disabled,and not knowing programs to sign up for?Disability SSI ,Regular S. S. ???What to do ?HELP NEEDED BADLY!!!PLEASE HELP ME.!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.